Monday, July 13, 2015

Mom,

This week hasn't been much of a difference. But it was a good week!

Let just start of with crazy moments. So on Wednesday, we went to Live
after Five so it's likes a little fair in town. We decided to pass out
flyers. Let me remind you, this is Flushing. I got hit on lots of times. I
came to South Shore and hadn't been hit on until Wednesday. There was
a guy that came up to me. He grabbed both of my arms and started
rubbing my arms and acted like he wanted a kiss. I told him no and
turned around and started passing out flyers. He followed me around a
little bit. I turned to face him and he saw my mission tag and got
freaked out and walked away! The Power of the mission tag! The Power of the Holy
Ghost!

On Saturday, we wanted a brownie for no reason. But we were like, "Its
not going to help us fulfil our missionary purpose." But the craving
got bigger so we decided to go buy some. We bought a brownie mix to
make. We then bought some bagels from Panera Bread and it was so good.
But that day was 7/11 which means free slurpee day at 7-11. So we were
like, we want some but we just bought brownie mix and a bagel, we
don't need to get more food/drink. But we felt like we needed to go so
we went to 7-11 to get a free Slurpee. We were standing behind a
family and we felt prompted to start signing to each other and we did.
The daughter of the family looked at us and then looked at her dad and
said, "They are signing dad." Dad looks at us and came up to us and
asked, "Are you fluent in Sign Language?" Of course we are haha. He
started signing with us and I asked how did he know sign. He explained
that he served an ASL mission in Philadelphia, Tennessee, and Arizona.
Back in those days, if the person is called ASL they go all over the
world. He came home, got married, and then his life messed up and got
divorced and went less active because of the choices he made. He said he
doesn't believe the gospel is true but his new wife is also less
active. One of the father's daughters came out to NY for the summer and
the only way she could come is if she goes to church every Sunday. She
is doing good and she is 15 or 16 I think. I think the daughter will
make a change in the father's life so that was a tender mercy.

Trio for the day!

Later that night, we went to Bellport and did some lookups. Bellport
is full of black people and I love them. As we were walking this guy
was like, "You girls are from Utah and you shouldn't be here. This is the
hood, stay out of it if it's after dark." He named other towns that we
should stay out of and that pretty much was our mission area and so we
still have to be out in the area. We told him thank you and walked off
and I turned around and he was asking me to call him. Whatever. I am
sorry if I come home knowing how to talk like a black person. It's fun
:)

We taught Sister Betancourt twice this week. Both of these times we
taught her the WOW (Word of Wisdom). She struggles a little with it.
She asked great questions about the WOW. She has a huge desire to go
to the temple and it's great because it's helping her stop doing the
things she is doing. One time we went over to clean her house and I
got assigned to clean the bathroom. It was really dirty. It's super
clean now. I was in my dress and Sister Betancourt was like, "I don't
want to get your dress dirty. Put on this." She gave me what  people
wear in the hospital, a scrub I think. I cleaned in it, I ate lunch in
it, and I taught a lesson in it. I have so many funny experiences with
Sister Betancourt. So I will have to share them with you when I get home.

Not the best picture!



I forgot to tell you this coolest story that added a drop of oil
in my testimony lamp.  When Sister Hironaka and I were companions 3 transfers ago, we started
teaching this less active lady name Baozhen Yang. She was so sweet and
kind. Her husband is now in the hospital with kidney failure and is
connected to the machine. We would normally teach her at the hospital
or late at night in her home. She was telling us that her son has
become less active with his family, the Chen family. He lives in a
different part of Queens. He was diagnosed with cancer and wasn't
going to live much longer. While we were teaching Baozhen Yang, there
were a set of Elders who found the Chen family and started teaching
them. They came back to church and became active once more. Sister
Hironaka and I split and we both left the area. Hironaka now lives in
the area where the Chen family live and was assigned to teach them and
so she was able to use her Chinese to help out. The Bishop in that ward
explained that the Chen family needs to work their way to the temple
quickly. Hironaka and her companion worked super hard to help that
family. Three weeks ago Monday, the temple opened just for the Chen
family to be endowed and sealed in the temple. Hironaka told me this
experience, "He almost passed away during the endowment session but I
knew Heavenly Father was there sustaining him. They were able to be
sealed together! It was so special. I can't even describe it." 8 hours
after being endowed and sealed, Brother Chen passed away.
It was amazing to me to see how God truly works. He wouldn't let
Brother Chen die until all the temple ordinances were fulfilled. How
can I deny this power? How can I deny that there is a God? This to me
was truly a miracle. I know that he provided an example to his mother,
Baozhen Yang and it does truly show her the importance of living the gospel righteously.

A member took one of our investigators to church...on a motorcycle!

I love this gospel so much. It bring so much peace, joy, and
gratitude. It bring so many miracles and blessings in my life.
Lately I have been missing the Chinese program will all of my heart.
But I know the Lord knows where I need to be and I will do the best I
can to fulfill His plan.

I love you mom with ALL of my heart!
 

 
 Love,
Your Daughter,
Sister Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment