Monday, October 19, 2015

A member gave us some soda but couldn't find any cups.  So we are drinking out of salt and pepper shakers.  Sister Johnson said they look like shot glasses!  Cheers!

Hey mama!


How are you doing this week? 
This is a view of the Statue of Liberty from our apartment at 6:30 this morning.

This week was full of miracles! The Lord has been so merciful to us. We tripled the lessons last week. The Lord is like, "Here is somebody, teach her my gospel." We have taught about 6 new investigators this week plus more lessons! Life is good.

The elders were frustrated with us at first but as soon as they saw how we are working hard, they started to trust us. They have been giving us people to teach and said, "You sisters can work better with this person." They can be funny sometimes. We have gotten so close. Hard work can change things.

We met Felicia for the first time. She was so comfortable with us and was telling us everything about her life. She asked if we could play tennis with her. We played tennis with her and it was so much fun. She is pretty cool and one day she will accept the gospel. We just need to help her keep her commitment of praying. 

Lily is super awesome. Last week she was quiet but this week, she talked with us a lot and has gotten comfortable with us. She said, "When I am not with you two, I miss you." It shows the the spirit is testifying the love Heavenly Father has for us. We asked Lily if she prayed, she said sort of. We testified of prayer. We told her that the day we came to Brooklyn, we prayed to find someone new to teach the gospel with. The phone also hasn't been used for 3 months and we got a random phone call and it was Lily. She smiled and I sure hope that she knows how much she is loved especially by her Father in Heaven. I hope she will recognize the truth. She came to church yesterday with her son and her son's classmate was at church and it got Lily and the other mother involved in talking with each other. Fellowshipper!! Lily really liked church. We will be meeting with her again on Wednesday and help her progress.

Ann Pan came to church yesterday and we got to meet her for the first time. She had been taught by the elders previously. She wanted to get baptized. We told her that we can help her prepare for her baptism by teaching her all the lessons. We taught her and she is so pure in heart. She is ready to receive the ordinance. I am so excited to work with her along with Sister Johnson.

One day, we had to visit one of the members who I thought lived way out (30 minute walk) turns out she lives like 5 minutes away from the church.... Oops....We also hung out with the Jewish people. They were every where on that side of town. But that was okay.  On the way back to the church after a long walk, we saw Lucy, one of our English class students. We got a chance to talk with her. She asked where we were going. We told her that we were going to the church to teach someone. "English?" she asked. Perfect opportunity to tell her about our religion. So I told her about our religion and she said, "I am studying Jehovah Witness but can you teach me more about your religion tomorrow at 4?" I said yes. So we met with her. She had a lot of hard questions! We testified often! She was so tough in the lesson but I was calm because it was something new she was learning. So we will see what happens with her. Pray for her please.

We met with the members to introduce ourselves. We met Cammy Dai. We felt prompted to tell her about us and our story. She started to cry. She told us that she has so many weaknesses and she didn't know how to overcome it. We sat and listened to her. We told her about Jesus Christ and His Atonement. We shared Ether 12:27. We tried to help her with the process of relying on the Savior through All things. She looked at us and said, "I'm so grateful that you two were sent here. To help me. I can feel a lot of peace." We hugged her and kneeled down to pray. The spirit was there. Then we had church yesterday. Cammy spoke in relief society, she talked about us and how we are new missionaries. She shared about how much we really helped her. She extended the relief society to never be afraid to reach out to us. It was cool to see that.

Yesterday, Some people knew I was deaf so Nancy pulled me out of relief society class and brought me to the primary room. They had a song to perform. They signed in ASL, "I Know My Savior Loves Me." It was awesome! It was the cutest thing ever.

Sister Johnson is great.   I love her to death.  She has changed so much and is  progressing a lot from last week in being confident. I feel like Heavenly Father has blessed her with the gift of understanding Chinese over the phone. She has been setting up lessons over the phone and it's been great! When she doesn't understand, I understand it most of the time. She is now confident enough to pass out flyers. Last week she didn't want to and now she passes out a lot. She has a strong testimony! She is a happy person.

The one thing I am having trouble with is Sister Johnson is really chatty. It hard sometimes because it makes it hard to be obedient. She talks during studies and we don't take the time to do studies and I'm trying to tell her how important studies is. Language study is hard because she doesn't really study the language and just talks and talks and talks with me. I am trying to focus on the work. I sometime don't talk back but then I feel bad. She talks with other missionaries in the church and that puts me off  sometimes. We go to bed late because she talks. So I am struggling with that. I was so obedient in Terryville and it is frustrating to me here  because I am not on my normal routine. She loves to have fun! I love to work hard and hate it when we put off things. So I am trying to find the balance. I am trying to develop patience and be a good example.


                                               These are some of the members from Terryville
                 
Can you ask Sister Johnson's mom if the cold will affect her back and feet?  She said when things get cold, her rod in her back gets cold and her feet cramp up but she wants to keep pushing forward but I want her to take care of herself too.

I am so excited to have all the healthy food you learned how to make. I'm ready to lose weight. I need to lose weight. I'm starting to get a double chin and triple chin.  Can you send me some exercise ideas from the website? Since it's  getting colder here and we need to work out inside.  Thank you! We don't have  a lot of fruits and vegetables here. The grocery store has moldy fruit :/

Here are some pictures of our apartment:  




 
 

 So as I was thinking about college. I think I will just go back to UVU. I have found many good influence friends going there now. Sister Peterson, Sister Lee, Sister Larsen, and a few others. They also have a great deaf support program for interpreting and type well to help with my education. I know it will be hard too since my bad influence friends will be there. But idk.

I don't think I'm gonna do this Nicaragua trip. It's a lot of money. I can use $1,100 for something more effective.

So we teach English class and it's the highest level. These students  are so smart and they complain things are too easy for them. Do you  have any ideas on how we can make it difficult but fun for them? We  are both struggling teaching them.

Hey, we might not write you next week. The rules just recently changed. When we have a temple trip, that is our preparation day. So we might be taking someone to the temple next Saturday and you will hear from us next Saturday. So just a heads up.  Love you!

I can't wait to see you!!! 80 days ;) Wow time flies!  But who's counting?!?!

Love,
Sister Moore 












No comments:

Post a Comment