Monday, October 12, 2015

My trainee, Sister Johnson

Hey Mom,

Sister Johnson arrived safely to New York on Monday. She is such a happy positive upbeat person. She told me all her stories all at once. She is a tough girl! She has such a sweet heart. Dyker Heights LOVES her so I think we will be fine here :)

Our apartment is about 20 minutes away from the church. It's nice and sort of old. I like it. We live next to the highway and subway so we hear loud sounds all day and all night. New York never sleeps! We have a nice view of Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty :)


As soon as we arrived in Dyker, a member, Ting Ting Wu was getting married. She knows me. We have met a few times before when I was in the Chinese program. She had asked us to help arrange and set up for her wedding at the church. So all of the missionaries and two others came together and helped. We were like Ting Ting Wu's assistants. She tells us what to do and then she leaves and then we do what she wants done. We did that everyday all day long.  


The wedding was a success. I was able to see three people from Flushing! It was so good to see them! We spoke full on Chinese and I understood what they mostly said. It's crazy to know that I haven't spoke or heard Chinese for a long time and then this happens and I could mostly understand. I feel like the spirit is definitely helping us so much. I am grateful for the opportunity to be back in the Chinese program and learn the language. Yes it's hard, but through Christ.... All things are possible!



Through the craziness of the wedding. Sister Johnson and I enjoyed our time teaching English Class and had a few lessons. Not bad for our first week. We have found 3 new investigators together and we are so excited to see where things go with them. One miracle happened.... Since there hasn't been any Chinese speaking sister missionaries in the area for awhile the phone number was shut off. We got the phone and one random lady called us and wanted to learn English. She showed up. As we were speaking English, we came to find out that Lily is struggling with finding her direction and her purpose. We merged in the gospel topic and taught her. She loved what we were teaching her. We taught her again a few days ago and taught her prayer. We know that Lily is ready to receive the gospel. We know that she will be able to find her identity and be able to feel God's love for her. She is pure in heart.

We also had 2 ladies who showed up to church yesterday for their first time. We taught Zhang 姐妹 with her friend who is a member of the church. Zhang wanted to learn how to pray and was so open and willing. We taught her and she is willing to keep meeting with us. It was awesome!

Lesson with Lynne and Lin Ming

I don't know if I told you about Lynne. She is a Member here but I met her before and she was learning sign language so I would teach her over Skype with Sister Lee. We are now teaching her sister about the gospel. She is warming up to us so it's going along pretty good.

Training in a new area is really hard. I am grateful the Lord has blessed me with the knowledge of the language and the guidance in the new area. I feel like I'm not scared and it's easy for me to get out of my comfort zone. So things will be hard but worth it in the end. It is kind of hard to train Sister Johnson but I am trying to remain positive and go forth. It's fun too. I am praying to allow the spirit to help me teach and lead my trainee. She is in good hands and I am excited to serve with her for the next 12 weeks. It's gonna go by so fast!

I love you mom! You are so incredible!! Keep praying for us to find joy and miracles in the mission. 

Love, 

Sister Moore 

No comments:

Post a Comment